Q: Bad battery, lights come up on the dash, won’t start

I drive a 2009 Nissan Altima. Just after 40,000 miles the electrical system began to act funny. The low battery light and other lights signaling issues with electrical components lit up at random times, but always shut themselves off before I really got concerned. It went fine for some time but then, recently, at only 44,000 miles the car will not start at all. What is the problem? I have a good battery and the cables are well maintained and clean! What can I do to fix this problem?

You may be experiencing an issue with the Electronic Steering Control Lock. This part most commonly causes the vehicle to not start but can also cause some unique electrical issues. It sounds like you have checked the common issues like battery connections; well done. Sometimes the most basic of issues can wreak havoc on your car’s electrical system. That being said, I would recommend having your car analyzed by one of our mechanics to make sure the alternator is recharging the battery, and also to check for stored codes in the different control modules. Because the issue only acts up intermittently, it would be helpful to note exactly which lights are coming on, so that no details are missed.