Q: What does it mean if the Supplemental Air Bag warning light is on in the dash?

asked by on December 14, 2015

What does it mean if the Supplemental Air Bag warning light is on in the dash?

The supplemental restraint system (SRS) is designed to help keep you and your passengers safer during certain collisions. If the Supplemental Air Bag light is on in the dash, it indicates a problem with the system.

The light should turn on when cranking the engine, but shouldn’t stay on for longer than about seven seconds. It should then turn off. If it doesn’t, or if the light flashes or never turns on at all, it means that there is a problem with the air bag system and one or more of them may not work correctly during a collision.

You’ll need to have the SRS system inspected and repairs performed.

Tip

Driving with the Supplemental Air Bag warning light on isn’t recommended unless you have no choice. There is a chance that one or all of your air bags may not work correctly..