Q: Different tire size for a temporary swap

I bought my car with 205/60/16 tires on it. I need a couple replaced due to unpatchable holes. Can i put on a used tire of a different size, i.e. 205/55/15, just to get by until I can afford a new set in a couple months?

A: Hey there. This is, in general, not a good ...

Hey there. This is, in general, not a good idea and should only be considered as a "limp to the gas station" solution. Proper practice would be to replace tires on the same axle with the same size tire, if not all 4 at once.

With the combination you suggest, you are are certain to cause ABS warnings because of the difference in tire diameter being more than 5% different. This means ABS, tire pressure monitors, and any stability control system on your vehicle will not function as designed. Cruise control may no longer work until this is corrected. Replace tires in pairs if at all possible, or at least with the same size as existing tires if done individually.