Q: Did my steering wheel locked up because I did not have any oil in my car?

asked by on June 29, 2017

I have a Saturn Ion 2 2006. The steering wheel locked up and the power steering light came on. The first thing I did was check my oil. I did not have a drop of oil in my car. I cut the car back on and the steering wheel was okay. Could I have a power steering problem or was this from me not having any oil in my car?

Steering wheel is hard to turn Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

If you are referring to engine oil, lack of engine oil might cause the engine to stop and that would cause loss of power steering. If, though, you are referring to the power steering hydraulic fluid (the PS system uses hydraulic fluid rather than an "oil"), lack of hydraulic fluid in the pump will cause loss of power steering even if the engine is running. If you are still having trouble with the power steering system, or you want it inspected for proper operation, please use YourMechanic’s power steering service page to request service. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr