Q: Did I destroy my brakes?

I nearly missed a stop sign and slammed on my brakes. I felt the ABS kick in and the pedal jerked for several seconds. I didn't come to a complete stop and now the brakes barely function. To stop, I must press the brake completely to the floor. The space in between the brake and floor where the car would normally slow down upon depression lends no effect. When the pedal touches the floor, the car more or less jerks to a stop. I had my brake pads replaced in the last month or so as well as my rotars.

Hi there:

The fact that you have to press your pedal fully down to engage your brakes is alarming. It’s hard to tell you what type of damage may have occurred during your sudden deceleration, but it could be something minor like a damaged ABS sensor or a major issue with brake fluid pressure caused by damage to the brake system. It’s probably a good idea to contact a professional mobile mechanic to have them complete a brake system inspection ASAP; especially before driving your car further.