Q: Detecting strong gas smell.

Every time I fill my car up, I detect a strong gas smell. The Check Engine light is on, and when I have it checked, it lists the EVAP system. I had the car parked on a steep incline after a hard bottom scrape, and it leaked a pie pans worth of gas from under the gas tank. It seems like the gas came from the top of the gas tank though.

Smell of oil in car Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The EVAP system is used to prevent fuel vapors from escaping into the atmosphere. The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors this system to ensure it is completely sealed. If a leak is detected, the PCM will illuminate the check engine light. From what you describe, it sounds like you may have a leak somewhere around your fuel filler neck. However, the EVAP system is complex. Only inspection by a trained mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, will give a definitive answer.