Q: Detecting strong gas smell.

Every time I fill my car up, I detect a strong gas smell. The Check Engine light is on, and when I have it checked, it lists the EVAP system. I had the car parked on a steep incline after a hard bottom scrape, and it leaked a pie pans worth of gas from under the gas tank. It seems like the gas came from the top of the gas tank though.

A: The EVAP system is used to prevent fuel vap...

The EVAP system is used to prevent fuel vapors from escaping into the atmosphere. The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors this system to ensure it is completely sealed. If a leak is detected, the PCM will illuminate the check engine light. From what you describe, it sounds like you may have a leak somewhere around your fuel filler neck. However, the EVAP system is complex. Only inspection by a trained mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, will give a definitive answer.