Q: Dealership is suggesting that all four engine mounts be replaced and wondering if it is necessary

My sister's car has 95,000 miles and she has kept up on its maintenance. The dealership is telling her that all four engine mounts need replaced, and at high cost. There is no vibration or other problems going on, and the car is driven hard. Is it reasonable that the engine mounts would need replaced?

A: Her Lexus uses hydraulically dampened rubbe...

Her Lexus uses hydraulically dampened rubber engine mounts, that over time, will crack and begin to fail. Engine mounts are a normal wear item, so it is expected that they will need to be replaced at some point in the vehicle's life. That being said, dealerships are also notorious for selling more work than what is actually needed, and at a far higher cost than most other reputable technicians would do it for. I suggest that she gets a second opinion from a qualified independent technician, such as the ones available from YourMechanic, to see if engine mount replacement is actually required, and if they can save you money on the repair.