coughs when accelerating or going up hills while in gear....

Q: coughs when accelerating or going up hills while in gear.

asked by on February 22, 2017

recently when i accelerate or more often when going up hill the car will cough and loose power almost as if it were backfiring but there is no noise to go along with the cough that I can hear. If I hold the clutch in a VERY small amount, it does not happen, and sometimes after doing this for a couple minutes i can let go of the clutch completely and it will be fine unless i change gears again. I have already tried replacing the spark plugs and have also made sure the oil was full thinking it may have been an oil pressure issue.

Hi there. Typically when an engine "coughs" it is due to a cylinder misfire. This could be caused by one of several ignition system components or fuel system components that are not working efficiently due to simply being dirty or being broken and requiring replacement. Before you attempt any repairs, it’s probably a better idea to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete an engine is misfiring inspection.