Q: Compressed air noise followed by smoke.

This morning when I tried to start my car the battery was completely dead, it was so dead that then I put the key fob wouldn't unlock the car or even turn on the dashboard lights when I tried to start it. After jump starting the car the engine started making intermittent hissing noises, they sounded like blowing compressed air, from under the passenger side of the engine. A fine smoke came up followed by a burning sell. Smelt like burnt rubber/plastic. The check engine light never came on before or after. What does it sound like is going on with my car?

A: Hi there. From the description you have pro...

Hi there. From the description you have provided, concerning jump starting your vehicle’s dead battery, there may a combination of problems. Smoke and a burning smell are not good. First, I’m lead to believe, the battery has completely failed.

If the battery shorted internally, jumping starting your vehicle may have created a problem with the alternator. I recommend your vehicle’s battery was completely dead be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.