Q: Compressed air noise followed by smoke.

This morning when I tried to start my car the battery was completely dead, it was so dead that then I put the key fob wouldn't unlock the car or even turn on the dashboard lights when I tried to start it. After jump starting the car the engine started making intermittent hissing noises, they sounded like blowing compressed air, from under the passenger side of the engine. A fine smoke came up followed by a burning sell. Smelt like burnt rubber/plastic. The check engine light never came on before or after. What does it sound like is going on with my car?

Hi there. From the description you have provided, concerning jump starting your vehicle’s dead battery, there may a combination of problems. Smoke and a burning smell are not good. First, I’m lead to believe, the battery has completely failed.

If the battery shorted internally, jumping starting your vehicle may have created a problem with the alternator. I recommend your vehicle’s battery was completely dead be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

3. Compressed air noise followed by smoke.