Q: Clunking/popping sound while turning and going over bumps

asked by on October 04, 2016

When I going into turns, I hear popping sounds coming from the wheels, more so when I'm turning right then left. When I go over bumps I hear the same nose as above or a rattling sound like something is loose.

Tie Rod End Replacement $113.60 - $484.81 Get a Quote

Hello. It sounds like you may be having an issue with one of your outer tie rods. The outer tie rods connect the power steering system to the wheels. These tie rods are ball joints but they are not the "ball joints" people commonly know (just the same style joint, but different part). This ball can dry out and when it does it will make a popping noise when the ball rotates inside of its joint. Ball joints and tie rods are supposed to be greased once in a while to make sure that the steering linkage is lubricated. If your steering has grease fittings, I would recommend greasing them regularly. If no fittings exist, I would recommend replacing the noisy part with a new one that includes a greasable joint. If you need help, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to replace the tie rods in your car.