Q: Front coil spring housing corroded and broke away

While I was rotating my tires, I discovered that my car’s front coil spring housing had corroded and had broken away from the front passenger’s side body of the car. Since this concerned me that the spring might come out and cause my car to lose control, this morning I took it to the auto repair shop and the mechanic confirmed my suspicions. I have decided that I should take it to a dealership to have it repaired. Before I go there, would you please give me your assessment and how you think they should repair it?

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 1997 Mercedes-Benz E300. This is also related to your other question regarding the coil springs. As explained, the perch is a structure that supports the coil springs. Often times, when one or the other fails, the other will also fail shortly after due to the extreme amount of stress that these components are subjected to. At that point, the coil spring will need to be repaired. To have this verified, I suggest having a certified professional from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect the suspension and determine what repairs are necessary.

3. Front coil spring housing corroded and broke away