Q: Clunking noise when put into gear, rough shifiting

asked by on August 30, 2016

Each time I put the car in gear, I can hear a clunking sound. The shifting is rough. The fluid looks fine and is at a proper level. What could be the problem? What might be making the clunking noise?

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hey there. Thanks for writing in about your 1992 Mercedes-Benz 300D. This sounds like the differential bushings could be worn. I would also check for vacuum leaks. There is a component called a vacuum switchover valve that helps to control shifting activities that could be faulty as well. An in person diagnosis will be needed to pinpoint with the fault. If you need to have this looked at, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the rough shifting problem and help you with a repair.