Q: Clicking noise at lowspeed turns, vibration when stopping abruptly, mechanic said need axles & no grease left. how long do i have?

During a tire change, mechanic said I needed new axles on both sides because all of the grease has leaked out and the boots are dried out, this was communicated to me about 300 miles ago. I have been noticing some clicking noise when turning at low speed, and extra vibration when stopping more abruptly, but no instability or increased noise/vibrations at high speeds. I wanted to ask how long I have before I need to change my axles. What happens if I don't change them and can it be dangerous?

A: As for "how long you have", unfor...

As for "how long you have", unfortunately you needed to replace them when they were mentioned. With no grease to protect and lubricate them, the clicking noise you hear is the joints basically grinding themselves apart. Is this potentially dangerous? YES. If one of the joints fails and breaks apart while you are driving, the axle is going to be swinging around at speed and will cause extensive damage to the vehicle as well as possibly cause you to lose control. A qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to replace the axle and joints as necessary.