Q: Check Engine light on after car won't start

When I tried to start the car, it struggled a while (making a starting sound with vibration and shaking). But eventually it could not start. Then a Check Engine light came on. The current solution for me is to take the car key out, wait 30 seconds, and then slowly turn on the engine again. Then it starts up.

A: If the car is struggling to start, the batt...

If the car is struggling to start, the battery and starting system need to be checked. A weak battery will not turn the engine over fast enough. Also, there will not be enough power for the fuel pump and ignition. It sounds like there might be other problems as well. A qualified mechanic from YourMechanic can come out and diagnose your Check Engine Light and inspect your car's starting system.