Q: Change oil soon warning light is coming on

asked by on May 12, 2016

My car has 13,000 miles. I regularly drive on dirt roads, so I had the oil changed at 5,500 miles and then 10,500 miles at the dealership. I was driving on the highway the other day, and a 'change oil soon' message showed up for a few seconds. It has come on twice since then. I checked the oil and it looks fairly clean, and is at the 'full' line on the dipstick. What could this be? Maybe the dealer forgot to reset the oil change counter when the oil was changed?

Yes, the service light must be manually reset after an oil change. I’m guessing the shop forgot to do this after your last service. You can do this yourself if you desire. Simply turn the key to the ignition position and press the accelerator pedal 3 times within 10 seconds. If this doesn’t work for you, a trained professional can reset the light for you.