Why am I getting warning messages in my 2006 Jaguar XK8 ...

Q: Why am I getting warning messages in my 2006 Jaguar XK8

asked by on May 23, 2017

2006 Jaguar XK 8, 100K miles. On trip several times warning message on odometer, "Restricted performance," and temp gauge instantly goes to red. Stop car, wait a minute, restart and message goes away, temp is normal, but yellow check engine light is on. Several more turn off and on and the yellow check engine light goes off. Garage in MI. said there were error messages when they scanned the computer, they cleared them. We continued for 500 miles, 3 days. On our return to same garage, they said if no more messages , no sense in re- scanning, and we left. 175 miles west, same sequence. Any danger in continuing? We are 2000 miles from home, going through the north part of MI., WI., N.D.,MT., ID., and Oregon.Service on Jaguars is sparse. Thanks for any help.

Hello. If you had gotten this warning message along with an overheating condition then I would be a little mindful about a possible cooling system issue. These can come and go sporadically if the issue is something like a thermostat. If the coolant is full and nothing was found then it may be fine to drive for now but I would keep a close eye on the temperature gauge when this occurs. If the engine is not actually getting hot then the issue may be with the electrical system and not the cooling system. If you are going to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why you are getting these warning lights] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/warning-light-is-on-inspection