Q: Car wouldn't start in park today it had to be started in neutral got home didn't drive for 30mins now car won't start in any gears

Car wouldn't start today in park it had to be started in neutral went home didn't drive for 30mins car won't start at all and when I go to try to put it in neutral it easily shift to neutral like my car doesn't recognize any gears

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a problem with the neutral safety switch. Your vehicle has a neutral safety switch that will prevent the vehicle from starting when it is in any gear position other than park or neutral. Occasionally, this switch can malfunction causing the car to stall as soon as you put it into any gear. This switch usually also monitors gear selection data as well, that is transmitted back to the computer. This switch is connected to the starter solenoid which allows it to complete the starter circuit only when the transmission is in park or neutral. In some cases, if the switch is bad, it will not allow the car to start as a result of the switch producing a faulty signal indicating that the car is in gear even when it is not. In other cases it may cause the car to stall when engaging reverse or drive. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Car wouldn't start in park today it had to be started in neutral got home didn't drive for 30mins now car won't start in any gears