Q: My theft system is keeping my car from starting in my 1994 Cadillac Deville

asked by on December 27, 2016

I tried to start my car, and it will not start. It is telling me on my dashboard that my starting is disabled due to theft system. I've never had this issue before and I haven't done anything different with my car than my normal driving. The alarm system in my car is a system I had installed in it, years ago. I don't know why it's doing this or how to stop it so I can start my car.

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. If the theft light is coming on then it is causing the vehicle not to start. Most of the time the issue is caused by either the key failing or the key sensor located in the key lock cylinder. There is a small chip in the key that provides resistance value to the computer to tell it that the correct key is being used. If there was a spare key I would see if that works. If it does not then it is the sensor in the key lock cylinder. Most of the time the wires from the key lock cylinder break and cause this. It can also be caused by the theft module but that is not as common. If you need to have this problem repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why the vehicle will not start] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-is-not-starting-inspection