Q: Car wont go into gear - 2010 Ford Mustang

Hi, i have a 2010 s197 with 5 speed manual Transmission. My dad drove it one day and he calls me saying the car wont go into gear at all that means 12345R he said it moves around freely and soft. You can move the shifter freely like if your mixing eggs or something. Its my first Manual car so i dont know the difference between a bad or good clutch. But i know for sure it is not slipping when i use to put it in gear and my clutch feels fine to me like normal feel. Clutch squeaks a little when i press it but nothing annoying goes away at times. Grinds when i go to 2nd to 3rd only when i rip it BUT i usually dont beat on it like that. My transmission is a TR3650 and has a hurst comp plus shifter. Could it be a broken shifter ? Or any ideas why it wont go into any gear ? Car starts up and everything is fine i check master cylinder and its not leaking either. What do i check now ?

A: Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. ...

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. The issue with the gear shifter is the shifter itself. The shifter has broken and is not engaged with the synchronizers within the transmission. This is why the shifter is very smooth and moves around easy. Remove the mounting hardware to the boot on the shifter and pull it up onto the shifter shaft or take it off.

Try shifting the shifter with the engine off and watch what the shifter does. If it does not move around at the bottom, then the shifter needs replaced. If the shifter is moving around, then the shifter pins may have come off that connects to the transmission shift rail. If you need further assistance with your shifter issue, then seek out a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to guide you through the correct repairs.