Q: Car won't start. Tries to turn over and the dies immediately

asked by on June 08, 2017

On 2003 Nissan Maxima I replaced both cam sensors and crankshaft sensor with oem parts. Car started right up and idled fine for five minutes and I then took car for a drive and it started dying. It would restart and fire and drive enough to get home, but now at home it tries to start but just putters out.

Hi There, A few different things will usually cause the car to start and then die. A bad ignition coil can cause this if it is beginning to fail, resulting in intermittent starting problems. A dirty or faulty mass air flow sensor, may also cause this kind of reaction. The mass air flow sensor is a unit that measures the volume of air entering the motor and relays this information to the computer in order to cause the computer to make the proper air/fuel adjustments. A bad fuel pump or fuel pump relay may also cause this kind of starting issue as a result of the engine starving for fuel. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle to determine the proper solution to this.