Q: Jerking/Vibrations

asked by on June 22, 2017

I have a 2012 VW Jetta and just recently, started experiencing some problems with it. Within the last month, I have had the battery, alternator, and both fans replaced. The battery was replaced as I believe it had reached its natural cycle (I had the previous one since I first bought the car new in 2012). The alternator and fans were replaced after I ran through some water a few weeks back. When I went to the VW dealership, they mentioned that the water may not have solely caused the failures of both the alternator and fans, but perhaps was a catalyst for both of them to fail. As of recently, I have been noticing some jerking motions and vibrations within the car as I am driving. There is a vibration in my steering wheel and accelerator when I am on the highway. When I am about to come to a complete stop, there is a slight jerk (small but noticeable) right before I stop. And lastly, when going up a hill this past week, I let my foot off the gas and it jerked hard. Any ideas?

Hello, thank you for writing in. This is going to be a process of elimination. You want to start with the simplest fixes which include balancing, aligning, and properly inflating the tires. From there, or during that process of removing and balancing the tires, check the suspension for any obvious signs of damage. If you have access to view the steering components, check for leaks or damages there as well. Control arms should be checked, and then you can work your way towards to braking system. You will want to make sure the brakes are not sticking, and that the rotors are not out of round. At this point, if you have not found anything wrong and the issues is not resolved, contact a professional. A YourMechanic.com technician can be scheduled through our service department.