Q: Car won't start - only clicks when key is turned.

After pulling into a parking spot and putting my Kia into park, the engine suddenly died. Now it will not start. When I turn the key, I only hear a single, loud click. All lights and radio work. I had the battery tested at an auto parts store and it was fully charged. I cleaned all corrosion from the battery terminals. About a month before, my heat/a.c. started acting up. Blower would not work 80% of the time. Not sure if that's related. A good Samaritan stopped and turned the engine? by hand. My engine started to crank, then went back to the click. He said he thought it was the started, but he was not a mechanic. Is the starter the most likely culprit here, or could it be something else?

Hi There, What you are describing sounds like a faulty starter solenoid. If you hear a clicking sound when turning the key, it is likely that your starter solenoid may be faulty. The starter solenoid is located on the starter and has internal electrical contacts that transmit electricity to the starter. As electricity is supplied to the starter a small gear comes out and engages the flywheel to spin the engine over as you turn the key. When this fails, it may cause a clicking sound and will not allow the starter to engage the flywheel when you turn the key.

The issue relating to the blower motor not working 80% of the time should not be related to whether or not the vehicle starts as this is an entirely separate system. This may be related to a faulty blower motor or blower motor relay. Occasionally, the blower motor itself will wear out or become faulty working intermittently as the brush contacts inside the motor wear out. The blower motor relay supplies power to this motor when you turn the switch to "on" that can sometimes fail. When this happens, you may notice that you will not feel anything blowing out of the vents at all. This may also cause the blower motor to work intermittently. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Car won't start - only clicks when key is turned.