Q: Car won't start; get error code P0340

My car won't start, and I get an error code: P0340 camshaft position sensor A circuit. Do I need to change out the entire distributor? Also, I have a major oil leak. I also have noticed what appears to be loose parts and or missing parts/bolts in some areas.

Let us first start by discussing the OBD code P0340, which indicates a problem with the camshaft sensor in the Celica. On your particular Toyota, the camshaft position sensor is built into the distributor, therefore you are correct to think that you would have to replace the entire part in order to repair the problem. However, before we go replacing parts just yet, I really feel this concern would need to be diagnosed in person. This will allow further determination to see if it is indeed the sensor that has failed or something else entirely. Other possible causes for this code to appear include faulty wiring or a failing powertrain control module (PCM) just to name a couple.

In regards to the oil leak, it is never a good idea to let a serious oil leak go without proper inspection and repair. This, along with the missing pieces and loose parts that your Celica is experiencing, can be a bit overwhelming to handle. This is especially true if one is without the years of knowledge and certified tools that come with years of experience. I highly recommend having a certified mechanic locate and repair your oil leak and inspect your no-start issue to get your car back safely on the road.