Q: Oil pressure dropped and the engine is trying to stall but only when the transmission is in gear and at operating temperature.

asked by on December 15, 2016

it will run fine in tell it gets hot then it will start to sputter almost like im out of gas pumping the gas brings up the rpm for a sec but the check gauges light comes on and the oil pressure drops to nothing i had a day permit on it and in a 45 min drive i had to pull over 4 times to let it cool the thermostat and water pump are new and coolant is like new

Hi there. Check the oil pressure sensor on the engine. Look at the wiring harness to the sensor and see if harness is burned or loose. If the harness looks normal, then you would need to take a mechanical oil pressure gauge and hook it up to the engine. Start the vehicle and have the gauge in the cab with you. Drive the vehicle around and monitor the oil pressure on the dash and on the mechanical gauge. If the dash drops down to nothing, but the mechanical gauge has good pressure, the the oil pressure sensor is failing and needs replaced. If both the dash gauge and the mechanical gauge drops, then the oil pump is failing and it needs replaced. If you need further assistance with your oil pressure gauge going to zero, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.