Q: My car started shaking upon startup and felt powerless

asked by on November 01, 2017

Today I started up my car and drove down to the office about a mile away. It ran fine but when I came back out ten minutes later and started it up, it began shaking and so I shut it off quickly. I turned it back on with the same result and tried to shift gear. I put it in reverse but it felt powerless. I also tried to rev the engine but again, it felt powerless. So I shut it off. I waited a little bit, started it up again and it was fine. I drove the mile back home and didn't have any problems... Is this a cause for concern? What could this be? Thank you!

Shaking or vibration may be caused by many different things such as faulty spark plugs, poor fuel pressure or misfires. Other things such as a faulty idle air control valve may cause the engine idle to drop below the normal idling RPM which may also cause the motor to shake or vibrate more than normal. This creates a loss of power that resonates throughout the motor additionally causing other problems with ignition and fuel timing. Anytime a misfire is caused, this causes an imbalance in the motor which will cause the motor to shake or vibrate. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle using a scanning tool which will more accurately indicate what specifically may be causing this.