Q: How do I use the engine coolant heater?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How do I use the engine coolant heater?

Having an engine heater is particularly helpful when you live in a colder climate, making it easier to start your vehicle and gain better fuel economy during the winter months. If your vehicle is equipped with an engine heater, it is recommended you use it in temperatures below above 0°F. If you are planning to use your engine heater, plug it in at least four hours before you plan to start your vehicle. Keep in mind that the cord of your engine heater may contain an internal thermostat that will prevent it from working at temperatures above 0°F.

To use your engine heater, simply follow these instructions:

1. Turn your engine off.

2. Open the hood of your vehicle and unwrap the electrical cord, which you will find secured to the Engine Compartment Fuse Block with a clip. Remove the wire tie bundling the cord, and do not under any circumstances cut the electrical cord.

3. Plug the cord into your average, normal, grounded 110-volt AC outlet to avoid risk of an electrical shock.

4. Be sure to unplug and store the cord as you originally found it secured before starting the car to keep it away from the functioning engine parts.

If you have questions about how long you should leave your engine heater plugged in for, contact a qualified mechanic, as this time depends on several vehicle and climate specific factors.