Q: How do I replace my ignition switch with new ignition switch and key then program it to the car

I lost my keys and the ignition is not working so I bought a new ignition for my mitsubishi diamante and now need help installing it and reprogramming the key.

We would need your model year to advise you regarding the specific service procedure as it can vary from year to year. The exact procedure is set forth in the Factory Service Manual (FSM) and you will need a copy of the manual or, and this is the recommended course, hire a professional to replace the switch. In particular, on all air bag equipped vehicles, the air bag at the top of the steering column must be deactivated to perform a repair like this because that air bag is in proximity to the switch. Were the air bag to accidentally deploy during the repair, one could be severely injured or killed. Consequently, the very first instruction in the FSM is "disable the air bag".

If you have merely lost the keys, the dealer can resolve that for you. Consequently, make sure that replacing the ignition switch is your only option. If you still want to replace the ignition switch, please request ignition switch fault/cylinder-key replacement and a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, will get the switch installed for, program the keys and make sure that you are good to go. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Hello. You will be able to install the new ignition and key but the Mitsubishi dealership or a capable Locksmith will have to reprogram the key to the car for you. I worked at a Mitsubishi dealership for a few years and the only way to reprogram the key to this car or to an ignition is with specialty equipment only available to dealerships and licensed locksmiths. You could reprogram the key yourself if you had two keys but being that you lost one and you’re trying to program a new key and ignition you have to leave it up to a dealership unfortunately. You did not specify which year you had and the Diamantes were made from 1990 through 2005, but here here is a website with some additional information on programming a key on a Mitsubishi Diamante. http://www.keyfobprogram.com/2002-mitsubishi-diamante-key-programming/ The installation process will vary throughout the years. Being that you did not specify which year I suggest searching for a PDF version of the service manual for your particular vehicle or purchasing a chiltons manual to help guide you through the ignition installation process.

• How do I replace my ignition switch with new ignition switch and key then program it to the car