Q: Car will not turn off - 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

I can’t get my jeep to turn off. It starts well and runs in perfect condition. I put in a new ignition switch, starter relay, but it still won’t turn off. I read somewhere that if you start the engine then turn the key to OFF then pull the plug on the back of the alternator the car turns off – the problem is with the alternator. Is this true? Do you have any other ideas on this?

A: Your reading heads you in the correct direc...

Your reading heads you in the correct direction! SOMETHING, perhaps the alternator, is "back-feeding" power to the ignition, injection, etc. Back-feeding is using an electrical circuit in reverse, and inappropriately. There is a short, or other electrical abnormality causing this problem. A bad ground (engine to chassis) can sometimes also cause this problem. A professional mechanic, like a certified technician from, YourMechanic, can diagnose this problem and repair and replace the problem component.