Q: Car will not turn off - 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

I can’t get my jeep to turn off. It starts well and runs in perfect condition. I put in a new ignition switch, starter relay, but it still won’t turn off. I read somewhere that if you start the engine then turn the key to OFF then pull the plug on the back of the alternator the car turns off – the problem is with the alternator. Is this true? Do you have any other ideas on this?

Your reading heads you in the correct direction! SOMETHING, perhaps the alternator, is "back-feeding" power to the ignition, injection, etc. Back-feeding is using an electrical circuit in reverse, and inappropriately. There is a short, or other electrical abnormality causing this problem. A bad ground (engine to chassis) can sometimes also cause this problem. A professional mechanic, like a certified technician from, YourMechanic, can diagnose this problem and repair and replace the problem component.