Q: Car will move a bit in reverse but then it acts like the front left tire is locked, also after a bit in drive it hops 2012 Nissan Rogue

asked by on February 22, 2017

My left front wheel acts like it doesn't want to move. Car will go in both drive and reverse but will stop and spin in reverse and when in drive it hops as if it can't go. Have new tires, new brakes, checked transmission fluid it is ok. No warning lights are on inside car on dash.

Hi there, your symptoms suggest something in either the final drive - spider gears perhaps - (would be the differential in a rear-wheel drive car), or a problem with the Continuously-VariableTtransmission (CVT) which your car has. These transmissions utilize essentially a steel belt on a set of pulleys, and their failure mode is a bit different than other transmission designs. I recommend a transmission inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.