Q: Car vibrates in idle and trouble accelerating after stopped

Recently I have been having what I think is transmission trouble. When my car is in idle, it vibrates more than when it is in park or neutral. Also, after I have been driving a while and then stop completely, the car then has trouble accelerating. In between gears, it shutters. I work around this by releasing the gas pedal and then trying to accelerate again. When this problem occurs, there are not noticeable noises. The only thing that the car does is shake/vibrate. What is the cause of this vibrating?

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in about your ...

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 2003 Subaru Baja. There are dozens of potential causes for the symptoms you are having. It could be an engine performance problem, such as a bad sensor. It could also be a bad motor mount or internal transmission problem. If the Check Engine Light is on, (I’m guessing it is), the first step is to retrieve the stored diagnostic trouble codes. These codes serve as a starting point for an further diagnostics. I suggest having a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose the vibrating issue firsthand to verify what repairs are needed.