Q: Front end pulls to the right when braking.

Last week my car started pulling to the right when braking. I bought the car used a year ago and installed new front rotors and pads since the OEM rotors were warped. Friday I jacked it up and checked the wheels for up/down and side/side movement and found none, so the ball joints and wheel bearings appear to be good. I checked the tie rods, bushings and coil springs and didn't find any play in the tie rods or compromised bushings. I also didn't find any brake fluid around the calipers that would indicate they are leaking. A recommendation on what else to look at and test would be appreciated before I replace the entire caliper assembly. Thank you.

You can use an infrared thermometer to measure rotor temperature from side to side and that might give an indication that a caliper is perhaps not retracting. Calipers should be discarded based on mileage and/or years in service. A prudent rule of thumb is if the calipers, and the torque plate containing the sliding bushings, have more than 75,000 miles on them, discard those assemblies outright. If the calipers are replaced, you should replace the pads on both sides and resurface the rotors. You can’t install new pads on used rotors. If the calipers have less than 75,000 miles on them or are determined to not be sticking, some other causes of brake pull include a collapsed hose, differential brake pressure from side to side (can be measured with external gauges), unequal ride height from side to side, uneven tire pressure, misalignment, suspension faults, and internal tire belt separation. If you want the cause of the brake pull identified by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a brake pull diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Front end pulls to the right when braking.