I drove my car over a hundred miles and the car drove gre...

I drove my car over a hundred miles and the car drove great. Then when I got to a traffic signal, stopped then tried to excelerate the car made a strange noise and it was a little difficult to get the car to pick up speed but even...

I drove my car over a hundred miles and the car drove great. Then when I got to a traffic signal, stopped then tried to excelerate the car made a strange noise and it was a little difficult to get the car to pick up speed but eventually it did. Got on the freeway and everything was great until I got off the exit and came to another stop light and when I had to exceletrate slowly so the car could shift gears and I got home. Never experienced this before. The next morning I started my car just fine put it in drive and the car wouldn’t move. Put it in reverse and the car still wouldn’t move. It felt like the car was in neutral. I also noticed some transmission fluid under the car which wasn’t there before. I have an automatic transmission Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it the original transmission? 180,000 Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your transmissions? Not sure, I bought it used Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far? 2001 Isuzu trooper Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you? I’m just trying to understand what it could be. Shifter linkage, low/bad trans fluid, torque converter, sensors or computers? Feels like it is in neutral

Automotive Expert
Hello, Welcome to Just Answer My name is \*\*\*\*\* \*\*\*\*\* I've been an automotive engineer since 1996 and together we're going to solve this issue. this sounds like your transmission may have sprung a leak and you've lost fluid, as the fluid is used to select gears and provide drive a low level will mean the transmission will slip and probably not change gears very well so I'd say the next step is to get under the car to try and locate the source of the leak as the next step and rectify it you could just add more fluid through the dipstick tube in the engine bay to get you going but unless the leak is very small this is more of a band-aid / get you home solution whilst you are under the car it would also be wise to check the condition of the electrical connections to the transmission, by disconnecting the plug , inspect both sides for bent or damaged pins and use some contact cleaner on both halves before refitting

Thanks for your response. There wasn’t any prior leak. It happened while the car was parked over night. There was a rough sound at the initial intersection I mentioned but nothing after. I was thinking it may have lost fluid that’s why it would drive forward or reverse. When you talk about electrical, are you referring to the transmission solenoid control or shifter linkage?
Automotive Expert
It certainly sounds like its lost fluid from what you've said so check its fluid level as the next step and the electrical connection I'm referring to is the large one the side of the transmission that connects to the chassis

If there is no leak in the transmission or electrical problem what would have caused the fluid to have come out.
Automotive Expert
1st thing to check is if the fluid level is actually low? if it is I've known fluid ot be lost from oil coolers so check the condition of engine coolant if it looks oily then that may be the issue