Q: Alternator belt got torn whilst driving and had new belt fixed but the car won't move on drive or reverse after few seconds drive

asked by on October 11, 2016

Alternator belt got torn whilst driving and had new belt fixed but the car won't move on drive or reverse after driving for some few seconds. Tthe engine however starts fine but there's some initial feezing sound from the transmission side that gives way to normal running sound after few minutes. Sometimes it moves for few minutes and doesn't move or reverse when I stop or slow down. Someone sais it's a burnt clutch, other one said it could be the solenoid sensor. Please I need your expect advice and help. Thank you.

This is a sign of a faulty transmission control solenoid. Modern automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all. If you’d like, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your vehicle, and provide a definitive diagnosis for the shifting issue.