Q: A lot of oil is leaking out of the oil filter. It just pours out.

How are you doing im having some problems with my car it is leaking oil from the oil filter and me and my friend change the oil filter thinking it was that and put a new one on and it did the same thing all over again it poured out all of the oil. I don't know what it is.?

Hello. If oil is leaking from your oil filter, then either the filter is not being installed correctly or the oil filter housing is damaged. Most oil filters use a rubber gasket to seal the oil in the engine. If the filter is not properly installed or the oil filter is installed loosely, the engine may leak oil as a result.

If the oil filter is installed properly and oil still leaks then it may be possible that the housing itself, perhaps the threads or mating surface of the housing, have become damaged somehow and are leaking as a result. If this is the case, the housing may have to be replaced to remedy the issue. I would first make sure that the correct oil filter is being used, and that it is being installed correctly. If the oil filter is fine, then I would closely inspect the oil filter housing. If you would like to have this taken care of, I recommend having a certified professional, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the oil leak and move forward with the proper repairs.