Q: Car starts after jump but won't start later on

My 2006 jeep grand Cherokee battery died earlier today after interior lights being left on. I got a jump and it started fine so I drove around for errands. Turned it off to go in a store, came out an hour later - dead battery. Got a jump and it started. Drove home. About 2 hours later I tried to leave and it wouldn't start. Got a jump again and it started but now won't crank again. When I turn the key it's the one click and my lights/radio come on. AC and lights and radio work fine when it's running. Is this an issue of my battery just not having charged enough or could it be alternator? I suspect it's one of the two since it starts after a jump and runs fine. Battery is a little over a year old and lights were left on about an hour. Have accidentally left lights on previously and not had battery die.

In order to know if the charging system is working you will need to have the battery charged and tested to see if it can hold a charge and take a load and cranks the motor with out a jump start. Once you have a good battery then the alternator output can be checked.

3. Car starts after jump but won't start later on