Q: Car stalls intermittently, check engine light on, 1995 Jaguar XJ6

My car has gone 180,000 miles. It's been about a year since the problems with shutting off during idling started occuring. This happens intermittently. Somtimes I have no problems at all and the car idles in the range 600-700 RPMs. But, there are times that it stalls out while idling. The dashboard shows the check engine light whan that happens. I went to the shop and they diagnosed that this might be caused by the cat converter seal leak. As the repair would be more expensive than the car, I decided not to do it and I went to a mechanic I know and had the engine valve cover and O2 valves replaced. After that, I had a rough experience on the road, when the engine shut off and I lost brakes. When the car is at idle, I have to keep revving the RPM so that the engine wouldn't stall. Otherwise, the car runs fine. If the car stalls out, I am able to start it up again immediately. What can I do to fix this?

A: It is possible that your Exhaust Gas Recalc...

It is possible that your Exhaust Gas Recalculation system (EGR) is faulty, and is venting exhaust back into the engine at the wrong time (during idle). There is a Recall for you year and model (T493) relating to a problem with these symptoms. You can check to see if this recall has been addressed for your specific car by going to safercar.org and entering the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for your vehicle. The VIN is that long, 17 character number on a metal tab at the base of your windshield.