Q: IAC valve

I bought a car that has a bad idle air control valve. I want to know if it is save to drive it home, I will only be driving 5mins to get home. So in those 5 mins will the car be save enough to make it home.

Hello. Your car should be safe enough to drive home. The one risk of this may be that it could potentially leave you stranded momentarily, but most of the time even when this valve is not working properly, it will still allow the car to run, albeit not run very well. The idle air control valve monitors the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine. This valve is controlled by the vehicle’s computer which will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature and electrical system load or voltage.

When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed. This is all done by the idle air control valve. When the engine RPM drops below the normal range of 750-800 RPM (for most cars), this may indicate a dirty or faulty idle air control valve. If you need further help with an idle air control valve replacement, a certified technician from YourMechanic can assist with this repair.