Q: How do I put a new battery in?

How to properly put a new battery in and properly clean the terminals

A battery that starts to go bad will need to be replaced. In order to change the battery you will need to have the radio code to unlock it once the battery is replaced. The dealer can get the code for you by looking up the radio VIN for you. If you use a keep alive memory saver to keep power to the electrical system while replacing the battery, then you would not need to worry about getting this code. If you have an aftermarket radio then disregard having a code requirement.

Disconnect the battery cable connections negative cable first. Remove battery hold down and remove the battery from vehicle. Clean the battery box and cable ends using a battery cleaner or a mix of baking soda and water to clean and neutralize the battery acid.

Once the box and cables are clean then install the new battery and secure the hold down. Connect and tighten the battery clamps connecting the positive clamp first and then the negative clamp. Remove the battery memory saver if used. Start the vehicle and make sure all accessories work.

If you’d like assistance with this, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home to service your battery and cables.