Q: Car hard to start after replacing battery

The battery was just replaced, but the car is still hard to start. I'm thinking it could possibly be the alternator or starter causing the problem.

Hi there. If the engine is hard to start it can be caused by a number of things. If the engine cranks very slow then the problem is more than likely from a bad battery cable or a starter that is failing. A mechanic would perform a voltage drop test of the battery cables to see if they are bad and then a starter draw test would be done. If the engine is cranking fast and just taking a long time to start then it is typically caused be a failing crank position sensor or a fuel pressure problem from a failing pump. If you’d like to have this problem diagnosed by a professional, have a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic determine what is causing the starting issue.

3. Car hard to start after replacing battery