Q: Car slips out of 3rd gear

My car has been slipping out of gear when I'm in 3rd for almost a year. I can't figure out what's causing it - driving fast, going uphill or downhill, whatever. I recently had the 30,000 mile maintenance done, and the shop said everything looks great. The problem wasn't happening while the shop was trying to look at it, and they don't want to tear apart the transmission to check it. Before my warranty runs out, I want to know whether I should try to get the transmission replaced, since that's going to be expensive to do later if it's the problem. What do you think?

A: Modern transmissions are fully synchronized...

Modern transmissions are fully synchronized, which means there is a system of synchronizer clutches that speed or slow down the rotation of the gears until both are rotating at the same speed and can be locked. The most likely causes of just third gear popping out is worn synchronizers or gear teeth. In most cases, the remedy for this would be transmission replacement.

If you'd like a second opinion, the team at YourMechanic would be happy to inspect your vehicle's gear slipping issue firsthand.