Q: Car stalls and sputters when driving

asked by on May 12, 2016

Our car uses way too much oil. I keep adding oil and want to avoid having to have a whole new engine installed, which is what our mechanic says it needs. Can you suggest an alternative?

Engine is sputtering Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

If your engine is going to have to be replaced due to using too much oil, then you may choose to try and use thicker oil. I would not recommend it, but it is your choice. You could go one-step thicker with the oil and try it. If it is better, then stick with that one. The worst thing that can happen is that you can blow your motor up or stop oil consumption all together. Remember, I do not recommend using the wrong oil for your car, but it may be a last ditch alternative to getting the engine replaced. A better option may be to get a second opinion by an outside mechanic so that they can see the car in person. If you’d like, you can have a mobile technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your car’s location to make a diagnosis of your car’s sputtering issue and recommend a repair.