Car passed inspection but when I took it in I was told it...

Q: Car passed inspection but when I took it in I was told it never should have passed.

I bought a jeep patriot. The guy I purchased it from ( private owner/ dealer) told me that the check engine light was on only due to a gas cap issue and if I replace it it should go off. Car passed inspection before I purchases.. but when I took it in to check on the light not turning off I was told it never should have passed the inspection as it has a fuel tank leak. ( i think thats what he said) and a suspension issue that will cost me almost $400 to replace. When I asked the guy who sold it to me to provide the paperwork he sent it over ina pdf, but in the section where it says " fuel cap integrity" it said PASS. I'm confused. Any ideas?

Hi there. Different people who check the emissions on a vehicle may only check the computer and the gas cap. They may not check under the vehicle for any signs of fuel leakage. That is probably why the vehicle passed. Anyways, it does not matter about the form you got from the previous owner. All new owners have to register the vehicle with an emissions test regardless if the vehicle just passed or not. I recommend fixing the fuel leak on the fuel tank and repairing the suspension for safety. If you need further assistance with passing the emissions, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.