Q: Check Engine Light and emission light are on. Is the car still safe to use? - 2010 Hyundai Accent

asked by on October 28, 2016

Engine/emission light steady on

The warning lights you are seeing are very generic. There is no way at this point of knowing if the issue is dangerous or not. You need to have the vehicle scanned for diagnostic troubleshooting codes ASAP. This can be done by a technician, possibly at your local parts store.

The warning light is a way of telling you the computer is sensing something wrong with a component. If there is an issue with the emission system, the problem may be with an O2 sensor or the catalytic converter. If there is a clog or something more serious with the engine, only further inspection will clarify the problem. Do you feel any issues with the way the vehicle drives? If so, there may be something more serious; if not, there may be an issue with a sensor, and the vehicle wouldn’t be considered immediately "dangerous".

I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine why the warning lights are on and suggest any needed repairs.