Q: Battery draining when it is cold.

asked by on December 11, 2016

I am having issues with some sort of parasitic draw on my battery when it is cold. Have replaced batteries and done 2 system checks. Alternator, starter are fine as well. I do have an after factory remote start system that I was told to have removed just in case at the tune of $350. I am not wanting to pay that if it happens to not be the culprit. Then I am still stuck with an issue and out that $.

I have been doing some reading and have removed the sliding door, condenser fan relay and clutch relay fuses. By removing these (an not replacing a new fuse), will this aid in letting me know that these fuses are perhaps the issue? I am assuming if one of those fuses is bad, the drain will not occur if they are not in place. Am I correct?

To find the source of the parasitic draw, a proper test must be performed on the vehicle. The test includes using a multi-meter to measure system load while removing fuses or relays. If the system load changes dramatically after removing a fuse or relay, you have found the circuit where the parasitic drain is occurring and will be able to check further to find the actual component along the circuit causing the problem. Consider hiring an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic who can come out and perform the parasitic drain test to offer a more personal diagnosis and estimate on the repairs.