Q: Car shuts off while idling

asked by on July 25, 2016

The car is difficult to start up after idling. I would drive it for a while and then it would idle for several minutes and turn off completely. The car would start up only after it sat for about an hour and a half. It has 110,000 miles on it and several parts have been replaced and checked. I had the battery, spark plugs, thermostat housing replaced along with the fuel filter. I had the alternator tested and it checks out fine. What could be causing this?

Hello. This can be caused by many things on this vehicle, but the most common one is the crankshaft position sensor. I have seen many of these fail on this car and cause this.

I usually use a scan tool to watch the sensor inputs while this happens. I look for which sensors start reading incorrectly before it stalls and then replace whichever ones are causing it. If the sensors are fine then I check the fuel pressure to see if the pump is failing.

If you need to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you home or office to diagnose the cause of your stall and repair it as necessary.