Q: Car shuts off while idling

The car is difficult to start up after idling. I would drive it for a while and then it would idle for several minutes and turn off completely. The car would start up only after it sat for about an hour and a half. It has 110,000 miles on it and several parts have been replaced and checked. I had the battery, spark plugs, thermostat housing replaced along with the fuel filter. I had the alternator tested and it checks out fine. What could be causing this?

A: Hello. This can be caused by many things on...

Hello. This can be caused by many things on this vehicle, but the most common one is the crankshaft position sensor. I have seen many of these fail on this car and cause this.

I usually use a scan tool to watch the sensor inputs while this happens. I look for which sensors start reading incorrectly before it stalls and then replace whichever ones are causing it. If the sensors are fine then I check the fuel pressure to see if the pump is failing.

If you need to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you home or office to diagnose the cause of your stall and repair it as necessary.