Q: Car continues to run after taking the key out of ignition

asked by on September 28, 2016

My car has been acting really weird lately. It will continue running after I turn it off and take the key out of the ignition. After I release the clutch suddenly or dumping the clutch to stall the engine will still keeps running. Do you know what’s causing this and how I can stop it?

Ignition Switch Replacement $160.91 - $807.33 Get a Quote

If the rest of the vehicle is staying powered up as well (radio, lights, etc.), then there may be a problem with the ignition switch. Otherwise, there may be a shorted circuit allowing the fuel pump and ignition system to stay powered up and keep the engine running. In order to have the problem diagnosed, I would have a certified mobile technician determine why the car is continuing to run with the key out so that this issue can be addressed promptly.