Q: Car shuts down quite often?

Have to keep one foot on brake pedal and the other foot on gas pedal in order for my car not to shut down when coming to stops at like stoplights and also sometimes when making sharp turns if when this happens I have to put the car in neutral to get it started again, also when putting it in park after done driving it, it shuts down immediately. Just want to know what could be causing this problem?

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a dirty or faulty idle air control valve. The idle air control valve reads the air intake as it comes into the motor. This is controlled by the car’s ECM which uses this information to make adjustments to the air/fuel ratio depending on various inputs such as outside air temperature, intake air temperature, load and various other things. As you accelerate, your car’s engine is receiving a much higher dose of fuel than when at idle and conversely, when you let off the gas pedal, there is a sudden change in this fuel supply as a result of your foot letting off the pedal. When this happens, the job of the idle air control valve is to bring this deceleration down to a slow and smooth idle rather than suddenly cutting off the fuel supply causing the motor to die. When the idle air control valve is not working properly, this cause a disruption in this process resulting in the engine not being able to idle properly. I would recommend having a professional come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Car shuts down quite often?