Q: 2004 Nissan Xterra rotor is not turning

My 2004 Nissan Xterra won't start, I checked the MAF sensor, and it looks new, and my air filter is also new. I seen a video showing a Nissan Xterra not starting, and the guy took off the distributor cap and when he tried to start it, the rotor wouldn't turn and he said that the Xterra needed a new timing belt. I done what he did in the video, and the exact same thing happened with my Xterra. My rotor wouldn't turn either, and when trying to start it, it sounded the same way the Nissan did in the video. Could it be that I need a new timing belt, or should I try something else first?

A: Hi there. It does sound you have a broken t...

Hi there. It does sound you have a broken timing belt. But before you immediately go out to replace the timing belt, the cover should be removed and the belt inspected to confirm that it is actually broken. Even after the belt replacement, you may still need to inspect for the possibility of a damaged valve.

I strongly suggest acquiring a qualified technician to perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with an inspection of your starting issue and service your timing belt as necessary.