Q: Is my transmission goin out or did a sensor or somrthing go out?

asked by on February 04, 2017

On my 2005 Chevy Malibu. Automatic transmission. It goes into drive an after it shifts from 2 gear it runs fine. It will not go into reverse or neutral. It has plenty of clean ATF in it. I'm just wondering if the transmission is almost out or if a smaller issue is at hand. Shifting linkage has been examined an no problems with the linkage system. Any information helps. Thank you in advance.

Transmission Fluid Service $125.08 - $440.73 Get a Quote

This is often a sign of low transmission fluid or a faulty transmission control solenoid. As you know, automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all. This type of problem is amplified any time the transmission is low on fluid creating a drop in hydraulic pressure. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.