Q: Car shakes when pressing gas pedal

asked by on February 02, 2016

When I'm driving on the freeway and stepping on the gas pedal, my car starts to shake. It seems like something is wrong with the tires.

Car is shaking or vibrating Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

If the vibration occurs only under acceleration, the tires are not the most likely culprit. Vibration caused by tires is common. Sometimes vibration can be better or worse at certain speeds, but unaffected by acceleration or deceleration. The rear driveshaft or u-joints are more likely. Both should be checked though. Some u-joint problems can be located visually like rust dust around the grease seal indicating that the grease is gone. The best way is to remove the driveshaft and feel the movement of the joint, any binding or roughness will be greatly magnified when the power of a V8 is put to it. If you have any doubts about your tires, pay to have them balanced. A good tire shop will check for bent wheels or a broken belt in the tire. A qualified mechanic from YourMechanic can come out and diagnose your car’s shaking issue to confirm if it is a tire problem.